Too much affection - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Raising A Working Puppy » Too much affection

Raising A Working Puppy Discussion about raising your working puppy.

tcat left
Too much affection
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund
Too much affection

My mal puppy is 14 weeks and my training director says she's getting too much affection. What are you thoughts is it good to give affection to build bond or should it be limited. I'm training her in ipo.
Brandon Hamraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Re: Too much affection

I think there is a big difference in giving a dog affection as opposed to spoiling a dog or you giving in to constant solicitation of affection from the dog to the point it's causing training issues.

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

During the first couple weeks I would say she was getting a lot of attention but it was for socialization . The last couple weeks she's been only having contact with me for feeding two five minute training sessions and potty breaks a day other that that she's in her kennel. Should I up contact or stay the same.

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

In what context was his statement made? I mean what was going on at the time he said this or did it come up in a conversation while the puppy wasn't present?

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

It was during conversations because during training she started out focused on helper and getting attention not rag

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hamraz View Post
During the first couple weeks I would say she was getting a lot of attention but it was for socialization . The last couple weeks she's been only having contact with me for feeding two five minute training sessions and potty breaks a day other that that she's in her kennel. Should I up contact or stay the same.

I personally like to have more contact then feeding, a couple of 5 min training sessions and potty breaks.

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Good to hear I agree but there were many in the club that recumended others wise. They said it would build drive. I feel there's a fine line of building drive and killing the bond. I feel bonds more important that drive is there and can be brought out at later age with training. It seams like there are other in agreement. Or am I misunderstanding yalls post.

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

do you feel a bond is built on affection ???
please explain .. that's a strange concept to me
- or maybe we just have different views on what a bond is

isolate the dog to build drive ??? you MUST be kidding //lol//
what club do you train with ?
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Rick that is a common "sentiment" in some (many?) working circles. Does it work? Not that I have seen. Brandon, I speculate this is less about affection and bond than it is about what the club members expect and want to see from a dog (your dog) being developed for sport.

All the things I was told to do with my mastiff to "build" drive to include isolation, were all things I never did with my dutch. In fact, I did a bunch of things people didn't recommend like letting her run with another dog, be free in the yard all day - not kenneled, I worked her while she was changing teeth, and exercised her extensively, etc..

That concept of isolation to build drive is somewhat archaic, and a relatively ridiculous notion in my mind. It's similar to working off the idea that a male prisoner kept from the companionship of a female will develop a drive for sex unparalleled by those free to have sex as they desire.

Bullshit.

Please Register!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
Rick that is a common "sentiment" in some (many?) working circles. Does it work? Not that I have seen. Brandon, I speculate this is less about affection and bond than it is about what the club members expect and want to see from a dog (your dog) being developed for sport.

All the things I was told to do with my mastiff to "build" drive to include isolation, were all things I never did with my dutch. In fact, I did a bunch of things people didn't recommend like letting her run with another dog, be free in the yard all day - not kenneled, I worked her while she was changing teeth, and exercised her extensively, etc..

That concept of isolation to build drive is somewhat archaic, and a relatively ridiculous notion in my mind. It's similar to working off the idea that a male prisoner kept from the companionship of a female will develop a drive for sex unparalleled by those free to have sex as they desire.

Bullshit.
This was a good read for a novice like me. We get our dutchie in less than a month and I want to do this right.
Anthony Arrants is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!