crating - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Work Specific Discussion » Raising A Working Puppy » crating

Raising A Working Puppy Discussion about raising your working puppy.

tcat left
crating
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: crating

multiple dogs certainly complicates the equation
so does a dog who killed cats living in a houseful of cats. that was my situation with my current dog
HUGE HUGE daily PITA to work with him, but a crate gave way to a short lead and ended up with no lead and a dog who ONLY chills in the house even tho the freaking cats NEVER do.

had to backtrack a bit when a new member was invited in but it didn't take more than a week for that to defuze

the many many months of daily stress were well worth it as it has now been peaceful here for many years
....just saying
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Of the many yrs of having multiple dogs I've used a crate only for initial house breaking.

I want them to be comfortable in a crate more for car travel then anything else.

I've rarely had a dog that was intended for the house to be unsafe loose at nights past 6-7 months.

That's also with other dogs loose in the house.

Of course when I've had both male and female it's a different story when the females were in season.

Dogs intended for outside life will be in the house for 7-8 months but will be loose for a month or two after that so I know they are house trained.

Absolutely agree that time in the house with any dog, at any time will be a calm time.

My five grandkids don't seem to understand why their four dogs are so much calmer over here then at their houses.

Please Register!
Old 03-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: IPO

Crating is something my dogs taught me about. By valuing the cage trailer in the garden with its door swinging open, as the No.1 top dog spot for a snooze. Or to eat a bone in peace. A dog den equivalent.

As i live in a multi dog house, the next logical step, was to get each of them a crate. Their own den.

Then i discovered that the den, is a automatic "Off Switch", when in the crate, or the loo, if im visiting a mate's house. They just chill till im ready to leave/i say its time to come out.

My dogs sleep in their crates in the house, at night. Or they can get out, but they choose to remain in bed, where i take them before i go to bed with the doors open.

Then i discovered that crates are tents for dogs when camping. So into my love of bush walking/camping came the crates.

Then one of my dogs is a therapy dog. I take her crate to work, set it up in the therapy room. She comes out to do her thang, then gets put into crate, between sessions, then comes home with me at night, on back of ute, in her crate. Very versatile collapsible metal crates!

Then ACL repair of one of the dogs, it became the confinement she needed in recovery.

Then came the suggestion, that in a training session, you train the lesson, and put the dog up (in its crate) to:
1. allow it to consider the lesson its just had
2. deprive the dog of drive satisfaction, till you release it in 10-30 mins to try the lesson again.
3. to deprive the dog who blows you away in training, and refocus is energy.

Personally, I thought this was anthropomorphising the dogs. And a load of codswallop. But it works!
shelle fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Search & Rescue

If dog safety in a car is a priority, to me, crating is necessary. It is like seatbelt. I realize many people do not crate... probably the majority don't but boy, watch some of the car crash tests on youtube and you have to think differently. Of course they also bring up the important issue that cheap crates do nothing to protect the dog and you in the car.

The other thing with crates is it makes traveling so much easier to have the dogs home away from home with you.

I love having the tool available and I love that my dog can feel relaxed in may different locations because if it. He is a cool cucumber in his crate.
Karin Sable is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Protection Sports

not referring to anyone in particular.

those are the two extremes.

microwaves and power drills and cars are tools as well.
Does anyone need to use power tools? depends on who you ask.

does anyone need to drive a car? maybe maybe not

Do we need a microwave? nope dont think so, not when a campfire and dutch oven will work, or a fire and flat rock...

one could say that building a house by hand with hand tools is awesome. and that using power tool is no way to build a house, or that a microwave is no way to cook food.

I can walk to the store or drive to the store, whats the right way? driving just seems so lazy... its only 2 miles away...

Please Register!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

good points Joby

and like many things, dog trainers often referred to it as being either black or white rather than many shades of grey

kinda like the big picture vs details....we've been there many times
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Both good thoughts!

Please Register!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Personal Protection

we've always had the XL Vari Kennel our breeder gave to us when we first brought our pup home, and it's a little chewed on from having many previous occupants, and it's missing many of the twist-down pieces used to secure the two halves (it's secured with zip ties and cute ribbon over top of those, so probably not acceptable for actual shipping anyplace) but free is free. she's never been forcibly confined to it; we used it to teach our then-3-year-old child that the dog had a place to go where she could not be pestered, and it worked perfectly for that. the dog still likes to go there and hang out sometimes, but, if i want her out of the fray for any length of time, she is shut in the master bedroom.
as for Microwaves, the best of the restaurants i cooked in refused to have microwaves on the premises--i have one for popcorn because i'm too lazy to make it on the burners now that i cannot find Jiffypop anymore

Please Register!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Crating in the car is good if for nothing more than to keep the dog away from the driver to avoid distractions (No, Fluffy, you cannot stick your nose out of my window) but how are you securing that crate? Unless you are bolting or anchoring that crate to the floor of the car then it's nothing more than a missile in a serious crash. Have a head-on or a serious hit of the brakes and everything in the back of the car will join you in the front.

I'm not saying it won't help keep the dog from going through a window because the crate makes it a tougher fit but you trade one set of concerns for another.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
Crating in the car is good if for nothing more than to keep the dog away from the driver to avoid distractions (No, Fluffy, you cannot stick your nose out of my window) but how are you securing that crate? Unless you are bolting or anchoring that crate to the floor of the car then it's nothing more than a missile in a serious crash. Have a head-on or a serious hit of the brakes and everything in the back of the car will join you in the front.

I'm not saying it won't help keep the dog from going through a window because the crate makes it a tougher fit but you trade one set of concerns for another.

For ME, two crates in the back of my Pontiac Vibe leave absolutely no room for them to go anywhere. They are pretty much jammed in there but I do understand the need for crates to be strapped or bolted to control movement if needed.

Please Register!