Working Dog Forum - View Single Post - Education Materials & Tips for Raising a Working Pup
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Forum Sidebars

» Site Navigation
 > News
    > Adoptions
    > Wanted
    > Puppies
    > Adult Dogs
Featured Ads
Proven Narcotic Detection
by Pat Farnsworth
Working Line German Shepherd Puppies
by Nicholas Adler
Rpttweiler, Well Bred 2 year old
by Betty Kendall
1 year old Male Malinois for Family Dog/Sport Available for Adoption
by Ugne SchmittSody
Break Stick
by todd pavlus
GSD Working line puppies Quardes/Nicky vom Haus Valkenplatz
by Sarah ten Bensel
Seynaeve suit (Jacket Only)
by Melanie Becker
Policedog 3,5 years old
by Petra StrUbing
Announcement for Imprinted GSD pups from Flic Flac vom Wolfsweiher x Henk von Gut Korten
by ron ligtenberg
Quality Working Line GSD Puppies 7 wks old Staatsmacht/Dooling
by Denise Hansen
Tom son x Jabo v Peroh daughter
by Andie Jackson
The Nero Ball - Premium Ball on a Rope Training Toy
by Luis Santana

» Sponsor
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
David Ruby
Landshark

Training: Basic OB
Re: Education Materials & Tips for Raising a Working Pup

Hey Rick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
unless the customer is a book worm and loves to read, the only hard copy ref i require them to check out is Culture Clash.... because it's SHORT and an easy read but still has the essential elements of what OC means in regards to dogs. I also tell them if they read that book a few times and put it into practice they will probably never even need a trainer to solve a dog problem
Personally, I am a bit of a book worm AND I also appreciate having something that is simple and concise, yet contains in it the essential elements of anything. Once I have that (or so I would surmise), all the other stuff can enhance it. So I'll add it to my reading list and read it a few times. Dumb question, do you know if the 2012 version has any noteworthy updates over the 1996 version?

Quote:
- i'm all for learning about clickers but only from people who are COMPLETE trainers that understand the value of all four quadrants of OC and how to apply them effectively

[snip]

bottom line for me is study learn basic canine behavior (not training techniques) and find someone who matches your training philosophy. work with them and use them for an additional set of eyes who will see things you will miss. the more experience they've had, the more they will probably be able to help you

last but not least, WALK BEFORE YOU RUN and build up the dog slowly but surely, as conflict free as possible. most people start running before the dog has thoroughly understood the basic behavior, stall out .... and then blame their dog
I think the above captures what I am going for. I know the four quadrants of OC, and yet I cannot pretend I have any sort of mastery of all four when it comes to conditioning beyond a pedestrian intellectual knowledge. I also tend to be book smart first, so I really value a good trainer in most any venue as a second set of eyes, and as someone to bounce my ideas off of. That said, the videos/books are kind of bolsters to some of the stuff I already know or have been taught, as well as means to learn more since I am a bit of a book work.

As for the "WALK BEFORE YOU RUN," agreed. That is one perk to being around slower-maturing breeds. I am pretty patient and willing to let the dog just be a dog and go slow. That got hard-wired into my brain some time ago.

-Cheers

-Professor Farnsworth
David Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!