Working Dog Forum - View Single Post - Education Materials & Tips for Raising a Working Pup
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Forum Sidebars

» Site Navigation
 > News
    > Adoptions
    > Wanted
    > Puppies
    > Adult Dogs
Featured Ads
OldBelgiumLineWorkingLitter
by Melody Greba
Proven Narcotic Detection
by Pat Farnsworth
Working Line German Shepherd Puppies
by Nicholas Adler
Rpttweiler, Well Bred 2 year old
by Betty Kendall
1 year old Male Malinois for Family Dog/Sport Available for Adoption
by Ugne SchmittSody
Break Stick
by todd pavlus
GSD Working line puppies Quardes/Nicky vom Haus Valkenplatz
by Sarah ten Bensel
Seynaeve suit (Jacket Only)
by Melanie Becker
Policedog 3,5 years old
by Petra StrUbing
Announcement for Imprinted GSD pups from Flic Flac vom Wolfsweiher x Henk von Gut Korten
by ron ligtenberg
Quality Working Line GSD Puppies 7 wks old Staatsmacht/Dooling
by Denise Hansen
Tom son x Jabo v Peroh daughter
by Andie Jackson

» Sponsor
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
rick smith
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: Education Materials & Tips for Raising a Working Pup

unless the customer is a book worm and loves to read, the only hard copy ref i require them to check out is Culture Clash.... because it's SHORT and an easy read but still has the essential elements of what OC means in regards to dogs. I also tell them if they read that book a few times and put it into practice they will probably never even need a trainer to solve a dog problem

i am VERY much against the KPCT followers since I feel she is the one most responsible for starting the "all positive" revolution that has distorted and warped the true meaning of OC for all dog owners who are trying to train their dogs beyond begging for cookies and doing doggie dancing or cute pet tricks
- i'm all for learning about clickers but only from people who are COMPLETE trainers that understand the value of all four quadrants of OC and how to apply them effectively

i have provided many links to free vids online (Ellis, Bellon, etc), to a wide variety of dog owners
- BUT
I rarely have seen the customer significantly improve their handling skills after watching the vids.
- for me, i consider them great for motivating the owner, but not that effective compared to working one on one with a trainer in real time

this is my (worthless) opinion but it's based on experience with at least 40-50 different owners over the years.....ymmv

if any members know of someone who has been successful basing their training on vids or books i'd love to hear the details

bottom line for me is study learn basic canine behavior (not training techniques) and find someone who matches your training philosophy. work with them and use them for an additional set of eyes who will see things you will miss. the more experience they've had, the more they will probably be able to help you

last but not least, WALK BEFORE YOU RUN and build up the dog slowly but surely, as conflict free as possible. most people start running before the dog has thoroughly understood the basic behavior, stall out .... and then blame their dog
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!