Working Dog Forum - View Single Post - Education Materials & Tips for Raising a Working Pup
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » Forum Sidebars

» Site Navigation
 > News
    > Adoptions
    > Wanted
    > Puppies
    > Adult Dogs
Featured Ads
Proven Narcotic Detection
by Pat Farnsworth
Working Line German Shepherd Puppies
by Nicholas Adler
Rpttweiler, Well Bred 2 year old
by Betty Kendall
1 year old Male Malinois for Family Dog/Sport Available for Adoption
by Ugne SchmittSody
Break Stick
by todd pavlus
GSD Working line puppies Quardes/Nicky vom Haus Valkenplatz
by Sarah ten Bensel
Seynaeve suit (Jacket Only)
by Melanie Becker
Policedog 3,5 years old
by Petra StrUbing
Announcement for Imprinted GSD pups from Flic Flac vom Wolfsweiher x Henk von Gut Korten
by ron ligtenberg
Quality Working Line GSD Puppies 7 wks old Staatsmacht/Dooling
by Denise Hansen
Tom son x Jabo v Peroh daughter
by Andie Jackson
The Nero Ball - Premium Ball on a Rope Training Toy
by Luis Santana

» Sponsor
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
David Ruby
Landshark

Training: Basic OB
Education Materials & Tips for Raising a Working Pup

Short version: We recently had to put our American Bulldog down, so I find myself in the position of getting a pup sooner than expected (although it will be a while). I also realized I have not started a puppy since learning this whole dog training thing, and would like to educate myself on starting a working pup to hit the ground running once I get the little monster.

Long version: In addition to the above...I like Michael Ellis' approach a bunch, and as such, I am looking for resources (videos & books) to check out that might help me be as informed as possible. And maybe kill some time doing dog stuff. If there are any specific videos/products from Ellis or the like (usually Balabanov gets mentioned here) that are good to start with, I am all ears.

Also, and this may or may not matter, I'll likely be getting another Bulldog, just because I like them and there is a particular breeding coming up that I am pretty keen on. I know I will have to make adjustments compared to a high-drive Belgian or Dutch Shepherd. The particular venue (and level) I train for will depend on the dog, and I would like to foster as much drive, confidence, and cooperation in the dog as possible, however this will be a working pet. As much as I can, I plan on doing bitework and other sports (just Rally, OB, maybe barn hunting, whatever) at as high a level as possible and being a good working pet and in line with what the dog is a good fit.

Usual caveats, I have and am friends with dog trainers, and have a good idea with whom I would be doing the bitework training and bitework if the dog ends up a good match for all of that. This is more so I can pony up on the foundation training stuff, and self-educate a bit more before I get to any formal dog training, and because I enjoy doing and learning about dog training.

That long-winded post out of the way, any good suggestions to add to the list or places to start first?

-Cheers

-Professor Farnsworth
David Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor