Working Dog Forums banner

Teaching "stand"

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Chad Richards 
#1 ·
I've never considered teaching a "stand". It didn't seem necessary. But because I'm now considering working toward a PSA PDC im going to have to. My dog has a great down and sit (albeit the sit is unfortunately slower than down) but I can't figure out how to teach the stand. All OB has been taught with markers and either a food or tug reward.

Thanks

#3 ·
Someone was showing me yesterday how to lure from a sit to a stand. Once the dog is sitting (must be paying attention), the person lured with the food in front of the nose, and then moving the food hand forward and downward under the neck towards the collar. The idea was that as the pup tucked its nose toward its neck, trying to follow the food, its rear would rise.
I observed it on a 4 month-old pup and it seemed to work well. I haven't tried it myself.

#4 ·
With marker training I've simply captured the behavior, mark and reward.

This is just a standing still with no movement but once the dog has that solid it's easier to add it to the "walk into" from a sit as others have said.

Don't try and put the stand from a sit or stand from a down together until each is solid individually.

That can be confusing to some/many dogs.

#14 ·
John, I guess I'm crazy. Not sure where I thought I had to teach a stand. I just re read the rules and it's not necessary.

I taught everything using Michael Ellis' system using markers. But I was having a hard time capturing the behavior accurately and he keeps moving forward. I like the videos posted I'll certainly try then, thanks guys!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.